Cockroaches are invasive nocturnal insects that find our homes irresistible. The warm, beautiful California weather and heavily populated cities that produce millions of tons of refuse act as a magnet for these disgusting little creatures. And with them, into our homes march numerous diseases and pathogens these creepy little crawlers spread everywhere they go.
If you're starting to see any of the following telltale signs, you might be in a middle of a cockroach infestation:
- Small, cylindrical droppings that remind you of coffee grounds
- Egg capsules glued to the surface or lying on the ground, depending on the species
- Molted cockroach skins
- A musty odor that starts to permeate your home thanks to the pheromones cockroaches produce
- Seeing the cockroaches themselves running around
Spotting any of these signs is a problem, but seeing adult insects in the middle of the day or smelling cockroach pheromone odor is a sure sign the infestation is in full swing, and you've got no time to lose.
Let's look at what types of cockroaches you're likely to run in the Granada Hills area, how to keep cockroaches away and where to find reliable pest control in Granada Hills if they do manage to sneak into your home.
Types Of Roaches That Commonly Invade Granada Hills Homes
There are thousands of species of cockroaches in the world, but thankfully in our area, you're most likely to encounter just these four species:
- Brown-banded cockroaches grow to 1/2 an inch long and have brown bodies with two light brown bands on their backs.
- German cockroaches grow to 5/8 of an inch and have tan to light brown bodies and two dark brown stripes running down their backs behind the head.
- Oriental cockroaches are roughly 1 inch long and have unmistakable shiny black bodies. These cockroaches are also known as "water bugs."
- American cockroaches are the biggest species, growing to 2 1/8 inches long. They sport reddish-brown, oval-shaped bodies with a yellow figure-eight pattern on the back of their heads.
Any of these species can be a major problem if found in your home.
Why A Cockroach Infestation In The Home Is A Major Health Risk
Cockroaches don't bite, but thanks to their habit of spending most of their time in refuse and filth, they carry many serious bacteria and pathogens that they readily spread to every surface they touch around your home.
Among the sicknesses cockroaches spread are:
- Typhoid fever
And if that isn't enough to convince you that sharing your house with cockroaches is not the best idea, cockroach droppings and saliva can cause severe allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
Remove Factors That Attract Roaches Into Your Home
Insects are attracted to your home in pursuit of easily accessible food and a comfortable shelter. Let's look at how you can make your house unappealing to these disgusting little pests:
- Seals cracks in the outside walls.
- Store food in sealed containers.
- Fix plumbing leaks.
- Store trash in sealed, insect-proof containers.
If cockroaches find their way into your house, regardless of your best preventative efforts, it's time to get a professional on the job.
The Trick To Completely Get Rid Of Cockroaches In Your House
Here at Johnny Rat Pest Control, we've been helping your neighbors evict unwelcome pests from their Granada Hills properties for over 15 years. We are a family-owned-and-operated company with the tools, know-how, and experience to take care of your cockroach problem and ensure they don't return.
If you can't get your skin to stop crawling thanks to the invasion of cockroaches, get in touch with us today!